Sunday, May 29, 2011

To Each his Own . . .

Lindsay's Spring Concert. The before...
(Yes, she has just recently sprouted up. She is almost as tall as me.)
And the After...
The during. . . I filmed a little and listened. On one of the songs, she and two other girls played a little solo segment. Lindsay loves her flute. She has been asking for her own, I think it is about time. She so excited to keep playing.
Alie's Goin' Buggy Play. Love this 3rd grade play! I wish I would have taken a before and after of this, but these were both during. She did a cute song and dance number as a Firefly. This required her to dance with an actual boy and hold his hands while doing some spin moves. She was really nervous about this. She had tried out to be one of the dancers, not knowing that she would not only have to touch a boy, but jump on his back. What made it especially difficult was that he happened to be "Tyler". I loved the look on her face as she jumped on his back at the end. Hilarious.
Justin's Wackadoo Zoo Play. Super cute animals had their sounds all mixed up. Justin's group of Cows, just couldn't Moo, only Meow. They did this all through songs and speaking parts. This little guy has come a long way since Preschool. He loves to be up on stage. When I asked him what has made the difference this year, he said, "Those Preschool songs were kind of weird mom, These songs are way better, way more fun to sing." There you go. Here I thought it was shyness, apparently it was stubbornness. Either that, or good taste. Those songs were a little weird. On a side note, a couple of weeks ago: To challenge Justin to read harder chapter books, I told him I would pay him $2.50/book. As warped as this may seem, I offer the kids "money chores" sometimes, ones that are different from their non-paid ones. Cleaning out the pantry, vacuuming the car, etc, etc. Reading is almost as important as work, right? Anyways, He is extremely motivated by money, but he is also extremely intimidated of things that he thinks are too difficult for him to accomplish. I was interested to see how this would play out. What would win? Let's just say the kid always has his nose in a book lately. He is finishing one book every other day. Yikes. On the weekends, he goes through them faster. He goes to bed reading(even after being somewhat lulled from the scriptures), and when I go in to wake him up in the morning, he is already up and reading. Besides being a little grumpier from a little less sleep, the kid has really improved, and so has his confidence. I on the other hand, had wished I had made it .50 cents. Last night, we went to Target, to buy a Lego set. Now, he is broke, and motivated all over again. What have I done?
Maybe, I should suggest he read Harry Potter?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

so cute! hey, thanks again for the swingset, the kids LOVE it! Darren had it all set up for them when we got home from our trip! On our flight home they were telling everyone about their new swingset at home! :) It's 60 degrees out right now and they are bundling up to go outside and play on it! too funny! So thank you thank you!