Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Puzzler

In the words of Dr. Seuss, "He puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore. When he was done, he puzzled some more."
This week as we were driving in the car, Justin's puzzler was humming.
J - "Mom, when I am 20, I will go on a mission."
"You will probably go when you are 19."
J- "No, it will be when I am 20."
J - ". . . and, um, mom, I am not going to the same place that Scotty is (Boise, Idaho), cause it will be closed. I am going somewhere that is open. I will be like a secret agent there and I will go hiking in the mountains and teach people about Jesus.
J - " Do you know what else? When I am 25, I will be a daddy, just like our daddy, and our daddy will be a grandpa."
"You will be such a good Daddy."
(a moment of silence . . .)
J - "When Ryan is on his mission, Lindsay will be 16, Alie will be 14, I will be eleven, and McCartney(cousin) will be 7.
"How did you figure that out?"
J- "Alie told me. She tells me a lot of things."


This particular day, I do not think that I wanted a glimpse into the future, but I got one anyway. I guess they do need to grow up and leave at some point. As sweet as it was, I did not enjoy the reminder. As I look into the eyes of this little guy, I want to hold onto every moment. So, for now, let's stick to jigsaws, playing in the yard, and snuggly nights.

No comments: